Monday, July 03, 2006

Drugs

More than a year has passed, but it seems like yesterday...

I was walking down Serfiotou Street. Suddenly, a silver VW Polo passed, speeding its way towards downtown. For a quick second I looked, and in the back seat I saw my old friend Vasili. He saw me too. His eyes sparkled. I could tell that he was happy to see me.

I hadn't seen him in years. We were schoolmates and friends during elementary and high school. But then, one day he stopped coming to school. Everybody was wondering why. Rumour had it that he dropped out, and that he became a junkie.

It was easy to see that Vasilis yelled something to the driver. Next thing I knew, the car braked forcefully. Vasilis got out and approached me. He couldn't walk straight and his eyes were half-closed.

-Alex, nice seeing you my friend.
-Hey man, where have you been? Long time no see.
-Listen old friend, I have had some problems lately. I got into drugs. The guys here are junkies too. Man, I'm trying to get clean but I need your help...
-What can I do?
-Can you lend me some money? I'm in real need man. My family has deserted me.

Stunned as I was, I instictively reached into my pocket.

-Look man, this ten-euro bill is all I have. You can have it, but I need one thing from you.
-Yeah, anything.
-Next time I see you, I want you to be better.
-Sure thing man. I told you, I'm trying to get clean. Thanks.

Then he got into the car, not looking back. The car rolled fast.

I'm sure it has happened to you. Many times we run across somebody that we haven't seen in a very long time, and then, after a week or so, we see them again.

So, two weeks after that incident I saw Vasili again. He was dead...

No comments: